PRESENT RULER: iNkosi Patekile Sango Holomisa, iNkosi of the amaHegebe since 1999.
Born 26 August, 1959, Ngqungqu Great Place, Mqanduli, Eastern Cape
Traditional leader of the Hegebe Clan in Mqanduli
Advocate of the High Court of South Africa
African National Congress Member of Parliament since 1994
President of the Congress of Traditional Leaders of South Africa (CONTRALESA) from 1990 till 2013
Chairman of the Southern African Development Community Council of Traditional Leaders (SADC – CTL) since 2002
Previously Chairperson and member of Parliamentary Committees of Agriculture & Land Affairs, Constitutional Review, Justice & Constitutional Development, Provincial & Local Government
Author of the books: According to Tradition and A Double Edged Sword. On the 16th December 1995, Chief Patekile Holomisa married Princess Bukelwa Nolizwe Matanzima, daughter of Nkosi Kaiser Daliwonga Matanzima of Western Thembuland, and has issue. They divorced in May 2014.
- Khulukazi Elethu Holomisa
- Jonsumsobomvu Avuyile Sizwe Holomisa
- Princess Unathi Nomzabalazo Holomisa
- Lungelwa Nonkulueko Mbasakazi Holomisa
- Prince Xhanti Vuyo Phumzile Holomisa
- Thembelihle Mbasana Holomisa
Nkosi Holomisa has since married his current wife Namhla Nosimanye Holomisa (born Kondile) of Theko Village in Centane, Eastern Cape.
PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY: Rulers were…
- iNkosi Bazindlovu Holomisa, iNkosi of the amaHegebe, Member of the National Assembly, Transkei Parliament, married five wives and had issue.
- iNkosi Mathathisa Moses Holomisa (qv)
- Maj.-Gen. Bantubonke Harrington Holomisa, born 25th July 1955 at Mqanduli, Transkei, educated at Jongilizwe College, Tsolo, matriculating in 1975. took private courses in African Law, Agriculture, Public Administration, Conduct of Public Affairs, English and Current Events when he started his career in the civil service. From January to June 1976 he worked in Umtata’s Department of Posts and Telecommunications. In July that year he joined the Transkei Defence Force. Since then he has completed several courses. These include: Instructors’ Course; Candidate Officers’ Course (Commissioned in 1978); Platoon Commanders’ Course; Management Course; Combat Team Commanders’ Course; Parachute Course; South African Staff and Management Course at the Army College in Pretoria. Within the army, Holomisa has held high positions in several different sections: * Platoon Commander 1978/9 – Lieutenant * Training Win Commander 1979/80/81 – Captain * Batallion 21C in 1981 – Major * Batallion Commander in 1981/83 – Lt Colonel * SSO1 Operations & Training in 1984/85 – Colonel * Chief of Staff in 1985/86/87 – Brigadier * Commander of the Transkei Defence Force in April 1987 – Major General. He was manager of the National Gymkhana Squad to Zimbabwe (formerly Rhodesia) in 1978; manager of the Transkei National Rugby Squad between 1980-81; elected national secretary of the Transkei Rugby Board in 1982-84; elected president of the Combined Forces team in 1981-83; manager of the Tembu Royals Football Club of Umtata, one of the old and biggest professional teams in Transkei (1984-87). As Tembu Royals manager he worked closely with NSL, SARB and Kaizer Chiefs. He also coached the TDF Rugby Team between 1980-1985. But Holomisa’s major contribution has been as a political soldier who has turned, inside out, the very apartheid system through which he shot to prominence. Married 1981 Tunyelwa Dube, daughter of Reverend Dube of Mt. Fletcher, Transkei and has issue.
- Princess Nomsa Holomisa, died 13th June 2003, aged 21, buried in Mqanduli 21st June 2003.
- Princess Anele Holomisa, born 1983.
- Prince Bantu Mandla Holomisa, born ca 1987.
- iNkosi Mathathisa Moses Holomisa, iNkosi of the amaHegebe -/1973, eldest son of the Great Wife, married iNkosikazi Phyllis Nodumile, and had issue. He died 1973.
- iNkosi Sango Patekile Holomisa (qv)
- Princess Babalwa Holomisa, born in Ngqungqu, educated at the University of Transkei, with a B.A. degree in Social Work in 1998.
- Prince Temba Cebo Holomisa (+)
- Princess Koleka Busisiwe Holomisa
- Prince Mbulelo Kholisile Holomisa
- Zanoxolo Mdunyelwa, Regent of the amaHegebe 1973/1999
- iNkosi Sango Patekile Holomisa, iNkosi of the amaHegebe (see above)